Media24 has launched a probe into how the article landed up on the website.
The DA has called on Huffington Post South Africa boss Verashni Pillay to resign after a column calling for the scrapping of the rights of white men to vote went viral and caused a stir over the weekend.
DA Parliamentary chief whip John Steenhuisen said Huffington Post SA should not ‘blithely’ act as if nothing wrong happened.
The Huffington Post SA published the opinion piece on Thursday, titled “Could it be time to deny white men the franchise?” but removed it on Saturday after it was discovered that its author, a Shelley Garland, was non-existent and a barrage of attacks from right-wing media, notably Washington based Breitbart.com.
Garland was described as a University of Cape Town Masters student at the end of the column but this was found to be untrue.
“[T]he denial of the vote to white men for 20 years (just less than a generation) would go some way to seeing a decline in the influence of reactionary and neo-liberal ideology in the world,” Garland had written.
“The influence of reckless white males were one of the primary reasons that led to the Great Recession which began in 2008. This would also strike a blow against toxic white masculinity, one that is long needed,” she wrote, adding that “a denial of the franchise to white men could see a redistribution of global assets to their rightful owners”.
“After all, white men have used the imposition of Western legal systems around the world to reinforce modern capitalism. A period of twenty years without white men in the world’s parliaments and voting booths will allow legislation to be passed which could see the world’s wealth far more equitably shared,” Garland said in her piece.
Steenhuisen said this was a “fake news scandal”.
“I’m loving how Huffington Post are blithely acting as if absolutely nothing is wrong in this fake news scandal,” Steenhuisen tweeted on Saturday evening.
“When will you be resigning Verashni?” Steenhuisen said.
“Zero credibility after this rookie error, not the first time either,” he said.
The Huffington Post SA was launched late last year and is owned by both Media24 and Huffington Post International.
On Saturday the article was deleted from the website.
Pillay apologised and said the article has now been sent to Press Ombudsman Joe Thloloe for his view on it.
“We have immediately bolstered and strengthened our blogging procedures that, until now, have operated on the basis of open communication and good faith. From now on,bloggers will have to verify themselves,” Pillay said.
Media24 digital publications boss Andreij Horn said whatever made it possible for this particular article to be published on the Huffington Post’s website will be investigated and actions taken so that it doesn’t repeat itself in the future.
“As a company we make an enormous investment to ensure quality journalism, precisely because we know that trust is non-negotiable,” Horn said on Sunday (16 Apr).
(edited by MLM)
Send tips to [email protected]