The mayor criticises the rampant killing of defenceless young girls and urges men to come forward and defend our sisters.
eMalahleni municipal mayor Lindiwe Ntshalintshali has called on the eMalahleni communities to protect and raise alarms against men who prey on young girls and women.
“Men are supposed to be protectors but what we read and see on the news does not inspire confidence,” she said.
“I implore real men to take a stand against rampant abuse and killing of defenceless young girls and women.
“The abuse, rape and killing of females is despicable and barbaric,” said Ntshalintshali.
The mayor called on law enforcement agencies and police in eMalahleni to prioritise cases of women abuse and rape.
She said the justice system must send a strong message by imposing the harshest sentences against those who are found guilty of crimes related to the abuse of women and children.
She condemned the gruesome death of a young Soweto girl whose lifeless half naked body was found in an open field.
Ntshalintshali said she will request the Transversal Unit which is located in her office, to monitor the progress of all cases of abuse of women currently before courts throughout eMalahleni.
“We cannot fold our arms and deceive ourselves that what is happening elsewhere does not happen here in Emalahleni,” she said.
She appealed to churches, men’s groups and civic organisations to take a stand and say NO to attacks against women.
“The rising statistics on attacks against women is a real concern and we should not bury our heads in the sand as if it is not affecting women in eMalahleni,” she said.
The mayor encouraged women to stop showing mercy against their attackers by withdrawing cases opened with police.
“The struggle against the abuse of women is sometimes sabotaged by women who withdraw cases against their attackers,” she said.
Ntshalintshali started the mayoral committee meeting on Thursday last week by requesting members of her mayoral committee and officials to observe a moment of silence in honour of women who suffer in the hands of men.
Meanwhile, the eMalahleni Magistrate Court postponed the case of a 60-year-old man who allegedly molested his three step-grandchildren.
The case returns to court on 19 July 2017.
*Mabuza is a spokesman in mayor Ntshalintshali’s office.