The EFF sponsored the motion to amend the constitution while the DA sponsored a different motion opposed to the amendment of section 25.
The Joint Constitutional Review Committee on Thursday adopted a resolution that Section 25 of the Constitution be amended to allow for expropriation without compensation.
Following a lengthy process of public consultation and deliberation, the EFF’s Floyd Shivambu sponsored a motion on Thursday recommending that the Constitution be amended, mirroring the recommendation the ANC proposed to the committee previously.
The DA’s Annelie Lotriet offered a different motion, recommending that the Constitution not be amended, as the Constitution already makes provision for land reform.
The committee dismissed her motion with 12 votes against four, and adopted the EFF’s proposal by the same margin.
As part of the EFF’s recommendation, it also states that Parliament must appoint a mechanism to now draft the amendment, and that this must be done before the Fifth Parliament rises before the 2019 general elections.
The process will now go through a number of phases.
This report will be tabled in the National Assembly this term, and if it is adopted by the House, another committee will be tasked with drafting the amendments.
This process would entail another public participation process and would have to be passed with a two-thirds majority in the National Assembly.
He delivered his State of the Province Address (Sopa), speaking job creation, unity and the forging of a better future for all.
ANC deputy president DD Mabuza has showered former leader Jacob Zuma with praises, saying without him South Africa was going to form part of the many failed states across the world.
Mabuza delivered the State of the Nation Address (Sopa) in his capacity as the Premier of Mpumalanga on Friday (23 Feb).
He described the period of transferring power from Zuma to current leader Cyril Ramaphosa as “a difficult period for all South Africans”.
Under pressure following an NEC decision recalling him, an emotional Zuma resigned on the night of 14 February 2018, saying the violence that occurred outside Luthuli House on 5 February 2018, where his supporters and those of Ramaphosa clashed, disturbed him.
He said he would not allow blood and ANC division to occur in his name.
Mabuza said Zuma played a very important role and was in the forefront in ending the political conflicts between the ANC and IFP of the early 1990s in KZN.
Of the transfer of power from Zuma to Ramaphosa, Mabuza said: “We need to appreciate that out of all the choices we could have made, collectively and individually, thepath we have chosen will lead us to a brighter future.
“These events and decisions we made are a demonstration of a maturing democracy andthe supremacy of democratic governance,” he said.
Mabuza told the legislature he salutes Zuma’s courage and his patriotic spirit “that prevailed on him to respond in the positive manner that he did”.
“He proved to all of us, that his personal circumstance and challenges he faced are subservient to the wishes of the ANC as a legitimate representative of the people,” Mabuza said.
Former President Jacob Zuma. PIC BBC.
“His selfless contribution in the struggle for our freedom, will remain ingrained in the history books of the revolutionary struggle against colonialism and oppression.
“We thank him for his service to our country. We are grateful for his peace-building skills that he had put to great use during the darkest period of our history. He was at the forefront in ending political conflict and violence that ravaged KwaZulu-Natal.
“Without his contribution, we could have easily become a permanent war-zone and a statistic on a list of failed states,” he said.
“We are confident that he will avail himself in the near future to the service of our country in various capacities,” said Mabuza.
“We have forgotten our duties as the ANC together with the alliance to mobilise society into our programs of transforming society, busy fighting one another.
“And this has affected the movement. If still we want to lead this country and transform society for the better we must understand that that requires a united revolutionary movement. That is the only instrument you can have to transform society, if you don’t have that instrument you must just forget, you can sing nice slogans but it will be the end of you,” he said.
The beleaguered news channel reported that President Jacob Zuma was forced to go to the Cosatu event.
Gupta-owned ANN7 has been slammed for reporting that deputy president Cyril Ramaphosa, national secretary Gwede Mantashe and national treasurer Zweli Mkhize forced President Jacob Zuma to attend the Cosatu event on May Day.
Zuma was booed and heckled by Cosatu members during the event in Mangaung, resulting to Cosatu cancelling the event and all speeches.
The party said the deployment to the event was a collective decision taken by all national officials.
“Further, it was a decision taken by the national officials fully aware of the potential for heckling,” it said in a statement on Wednesday.
ANN7 said Zuma was “pushed” by the three leaders but the ANC rejected this, saying such reports, “devoid of truth”, were typical of ANN7.
Cosatu earlier this year took the resolution that Zuma should step down and two of its affiliates said allowing him to address workers would send a conflicting message.
The federation wants Ramaphosa to take over as Zuma’s successor and is opposed to the bid of an ANC lobby group linked to Zuma – the so-called Premier League – wanting Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma to succeed the president.
“Members of the media have a responsibility to report the news accurately, factually and objectively.
“ANN7 however seems determined to manufacture false consensus, sharpening contradictions and deepening fissures in the ANC.
“The station effectively acts as a mouthpiece of the factional divisions that plague the African National Congress, consistently showing itself as being intent on driving wedges within the organisation and pitting comrade against comrade,” the ANC statement read.