ANCYL says Trevor Nkosi bodyguards ‘a personal thing’

The league says they cannot be held ‘responsible’ for it as it is a private matter.


The ANCYL in the Gert Sibande region has asked that the issue of its leader Trevor Nkosi having bodyguards be respected as it is a private matter.

The popular regional youth leader arrived with three armed men at the league’s march in Standerton on Thursday.

Regional secretary James Nkosi said Trevor had been equipped with the three armed men to protect him after his family requested it.

“But you see they are private bodyguards, as youth league we cannot take responsible,” James said, implying Trevor pays for his own security. β€œIt’s a personal thing,” he said

He said a plea for Trevor to have bodyguards was made by his family to him.

“I cannot say whether there are threats on his life or what, that you can ask him,” James said.

013NEWS understands that Trevor had been equipped with bodyguards just recently but could not establish whether this has to do with the upcoming regional congress or the Standerton march.

SEE ALSO: ANCYL rejects rumours of Trevor Nkosi becoming next Gert Sibande ANC secretary

When asked whether the bodyguards around him have to do with the regional congress or the Thursday march in which the Standerton Oil Mill, Thuthuka power station, New Denmark Mine and Transnet were shut down, Trevor himself said “it’s because of ‘threats”.

“But look myself I don’t like having bodyguards, but it’s an issue of my safety and that’s why I had to enter into that space.

“But I ask that you respect it as it is a private issue,” he said on the sideline of the march.

Trevor is also the provincial deputy chairman of the youth league in the Mpumalanga province as well as the Gert Sibande district municipality chief whip.

(edited by ZK)

Send tips to [email protected]