MultiChoice confirmed on Thursday (31 January 2018) this week that they will not renew their contract with the Gupta-linked 24-hour news channel Africa News Network (ANN7).
ANN7’s contract with MultiChoice will expire at the end of August 2018.
“We will not be renewing ANN7’s contract and the channel will not be broadcast on DStv once the contract ends on August 20 2018. In addition, we will ensure processes are put in place to highlight issues of controversy as they arise and we will deal with them swiftly,” said MultiChoice South Africa CEO Calvo Mawela.
The announcement follows allegations, denied by MultiChoice, of a corrupt relationship between the pay-TV provider and ANN7.
Following an internal investigation, MultiChoice said it had found no evidence of corruption in its dealings with ANN7.
“The key finding is that mistakes were made by the MultiChoice management team in regard to its relationship with ANN7 and its lobbying processes, but the committee found no evidence of corruption or illegal activity.
“The mistakes highlighted were, firstly: the failure to do comprehensive due-diligence around ANN7, and secondly: not raising concerns about ANN7 and its associates as they came to light, instead waiting for public controversy to take hold.”
The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (Icasa) will conduct an investigation into MultiChoice.
DA shadow minister of communications Phumzile van Damme said, at the time, that Icasa had indicated in a letter that the matter had been referred to its compliance and consumer affairs division for investigation.
First published HERE
Ex-government spin doctor Mzwanele Manyi is having Twitter abuzz with congratulations.
He bought news channel ANN7 and daily newspaper New Age from the Gupta family.
Manyi’s Lodidox will pay R450m to Oakbay Investments, owned by the Gupta to acquire the two media entities.
Lodidox will own Infinity Media, the company that owns ANN7 (R300m), and TNA Media, owner the New Age (R150m).
Oakbay Investments said they believed the purchase will give them the space to focus on clearing the names of the Gupta family “in the face of unfounded media allegations”.
“The sale is part of Oakbay’s commitment to preserve jobs and provide certainty to [the] over 7 500 hard-working employees,” Oakbay Investments said in a statement on Monday.
“Under a new majority shareholder, Oakbay believes that both businesses and their employees will have the bright and prosperous future they deserve.
“The sale will also allow the shareholder the time to focus on clearing its name in the face of unfounded media allegations.
“We are delighted to have reached an agreement with Lodidox and the management team, the sale of our shareholdings will secure the future of these businesses and help preserve the jobs of their employees,” it said.
Manyi, head of the Decolonisation Foundation, is an ex-cabinet spokesperson.
He had held many positions in the past, including being director-general of the department of labour, President of the Progressive Professsional Forum and Black Business Council.
He also worked for private companies like Barclays Bank PLC and Nedcor Group (People’s Bank), running the business’ banking division, marketing, development, BBBEE and government relations.
Then Labour Minister Membathisi Mdladlana suspended Manyi from his post as director-general in 2010 after it emerged he met up with a Norwegian ambassador using an official meeting to promote his private interests.
In 2011, President Jacob Zuma appointed Manyi the cabinet’s communication director but left soon after a row with journalists.
Manyi said he was delighted by the ANN7 and New Age deal and looks forward to completing it successfully.
“These are two strong businesses which are full of potential and, under the right external circumstances, can become an increasingly important and relevant part of the South African media landscape,” he said.
“In addition, I am particularly impressed that the shareholders of Oakbay have agreed to do a vendor financing at acceptable terms as part of their commitment to transformation and to expedite the transaction,” Manyi said.
(edited by MLM)
Send tips to [email protected] or WhatsApp 063 675 6990
The beleaguered news channel reported that President Jacob Zuma was forced to go to the Cosatu event.
Gupta-owned ANN7 has been slammed for reporting that deputy president Cyril Ramaphosa, national secretary Gwede Mantashe and national treasurer Zweli Mkhize forced President Jacob Zuma to attend the Cosatu event on May Day.
Zuma was booed and heckled by Cosatu members during the event in Mangaung, resulting to Cosatu cancelling the event and all speeches.
The party said the deployment to the event was a collective decision taken by all national officials.
“Further, it was a decision taken by the national officials fully aware of the potential for heckling,” it said in a statement on Wednesday.
LATEST: Pupils killed in taxi crash to be buried the coming weekend
ANN7 said Zuma was “pushed” by the three leaders but the ANC rejected this, saying such reports, “devoid of truth”, were typical of ANN7.
Cosatu earlier this year took the resolution that Zuma should step down and two of its affiliates said allowing him to address workers would send a conflicting message.
The federation wants Ramaphosa to take over as Zuma’s successor and is opposed to the bid of an ANC lobby group linked to Zuma – the so-called Premier League – wanting Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma to succeed the president.
“Members of the media have a responsibility to report the news accurately, factually and objectively.
“ANN7 however seems determined to manufacture false consensus, sharpening contradictions and deepening fissures in the ANC.
“The station effectively acts as a mouthpiece of the factional divisions that plague the African National Congress, consistently showing itself as being intent on driving wedges within the organisation and pitting comrade against comrade,” the ANC statement read.
(edited by MLM)
Send tips to [email protected]