Court finds EFF leader guilty of stealing from deceased people

She was a teller at the bank’s branch in the Bushbuckridge shopping mall and had information that the owner of the account had died.


Bushbuckridge EFF leader Katlego Malibe is faced with a very painful future as she waits inside jail for the magistrate to sentence her.

She was found guilty by the court on Friday afternoon and ordered to remain behind bars until court officials come back from holidays to hand over a sentence on 30 January 2018.

Malibe, who elevated to become a provincial party command team member, was arrested and then charged for the theft of R1.5 million that took place in April and May 2011…

Malibe was employed by FNB as a teller at their Bushbuckridge mall branch and then withdrew the money.

RELATED: EFF founding member Katlego Malibe in court for theft

On 21 April 2011 an amount of R450 000 disappeared from the account of a deceased customer and R200 000 on 26 April and then another R200 000 on 28 April 2011 was withdrawn by Malibe. Other amounts of money were withdrawn on 4 May and another on 6 May 2011, making it R1.5 million.

This was discovered by the husband of the customer who went to the bank to complain that his wife’s money was gone and then the bank lodged a probe and opened a case against Malibe.

Malibe is captured on a CCTV footage which the Mhala Magistrate’s Court in Thulamahashe saw during trial.

On Friday last week, magistrate Elmarie Theron said it was clear Malibe was guilty of theft.

“One of the state witnesses told this court that he told you to report the matter to the police but you failed to do so,” Theron told Malibe after she had told the court that she was following her boss’s orders when withdrawing the money from the account.

“It is clear that you planned well in advance,” the magistrate said.

She returns to court on 30 January 2018 for sentencing proceedings.

(edited by MLM)

Send tips to [email protected]