Coffin racists may not spend Christmas in jail

The two white men who are up for the assault of a black man may not spend Christmas behind bars.

Theo Martins and Willem Oosthuizen have apparently approached the Middelburg magistrates court to set another day other than the 25 January 2017 to which the matter was postponed’.

On 16 November 2016, the two men abandoned their bail application, citing that they feared for their lives after three major political parties – EFF, DA and ANC – demonstrated outside court against their release and racism.

The two are facing charges of kidnapping and assault with the intent to cause grievous bodily harm (Assault GBH) at the Middelburg Magistrates Court after they allegedly beat up Victor Mlotshwa, put him inside a coffin and threatened to bury him alive.

The incident was captured on a video clip that was circulated on social media, resulting in their arrest on 11 November 2016.

SEE ALSO: Ndlozi spits fire in coffin assault case

The matter had been postponed to 25 January 2017 but it seems the two quietly approached the state to set another date for a bail application.



Speaking to 013NEWS on Wednesday evening, EFF provincial chairman said no protest had been planned for tomorrow’s court hearing because “the ANC had bulldozed this case.”

“We don’t want it to seem like we are in a tug of war with other parties over the victim. We support all action against racism and those of our members who want to attend the bail hearing tomorrow may do so,” he said.

Meanwhile Nkangala ANCYL chairman Mduduzi ‘Mswati’ Nkosi told 013NEWS that they were aware the matter was again going to court on 1 December 2016.

“We have also heard of that and we are mobilising as I’m talking to you, to demonstrate outside court,” he said, adding that the matter is set  for 9am.

(edited by PM)

send tips to [email protected]