Magistrate erred when granting Khaya Segone R50 000 bail, says NPA

172
Magistrate erred when granting Khaya Segone R50 000 bail, says NPA
ENDLESS TROUBLE: Embattled Victor Khanya municipal speaker Khaya Segone could be headed back to jail after the NPA appealed the decision to grant him bail. PICTURE BY 013NEWS/MLM

He was arrested last year October and charged with a string of counts of assault, intimidation, inciting public violence and firing a gun in the municipal building.


The NPA has announced that they are currently challenging the R50 000 bail that was given to controversial Delmas municipal speaker Khaya Segone late last year after it was found a magistrate erred in his judgement.

The Delmas Highveld Chronicle reports that Magistrate Manesa Zondo cried out last year that he was threatened to release Segone on bail.

Mpumalanga High Court Judge Hein Brauckmann this week ruled that Segone should return to jail.

The NPA said Zondo made errors in his ruling when releasing Segone on bail on 18 November 2020.

They took the matter to Brauckmann, challenging the R50 000 bail that Zondo granted Segone.

#013Turns5

This week Monday Brauckmann said the “interference” with state witnesses continued.

He gave the NPA the go-ahead to issue a warrant of arrest against Segone.

But Segone is appealing the Brauckmann ruling that resulted in the NPA this week issuing a warrant of arrest.

Segone’s appeal will be heard Thursday 21 January 2021.

Magistrate erred when granting Khaya Segone R50 000 bail, says NPA
Victor Khanye local municipal speaker Khaya Segone in court. PIC Sowetan

NPA spokeswoman Monica Nyuswa said they will oppose Segone’s application against the Brauckmann ruling which ordered he returns to jail pending the finalisation of his case.

The Delmas strongman was arrested on 30 October 2020 accused of a string of charges – including assault, intimidation, inciting public violence and firing a gun at the Victor Khanye local municipality where he serving as speaker.

He is charged alongside two others, Bafana Msiza and Bongani Ntuli and others are set to be added to the high-profile case.

Advert
KDDFM

During Segone’s November 2020 bail application, prosecutor Robert Molokoane said that on 4 November two of Segone’s friends approached one of the complainants in the case and asked them to withdraw the charge.

The appeal to have Segone’s bail revoked is dated 23 November 2020 and its ruling in the NPA’s favour only came this week.

(edited by MLM)

Send tip-offs to editor@013.co.za