Scores of people sang and danced outside court as Thokozani Msibi’s three co-accused appeared this week (20 Mar).
One of the four men accused of murdering Gabisile Shabane and 1-year-old Nkosikhona Ngwenya will not apply for bail.
His lawyer told the court thatBrilliant Mkhize fears for his life and decided therefore not to apply for bail.
Two weeks ago traditional healer Thokozani Msibi made an appearance at the eMalahleni Magistrates Court and was denied bail by the court.
His three co-accused who were arrested soon afterwards made their appearance on Tuesday this week amid protests outside court and had their case postponed by MagistrateDarleen Venter to 27 March 2018 for formal bail application.
NowThemba Thubane and Knowledge Mhlanga are expected in court on the 27 March where they will apply for their bail.
Gabisile (13) and Nkosikhona will be buried the coming weekend after cops finished conducting DNA tests.
The body parts of Gabisile, who was an albino, were found missing and had allegedly been used for muti.
He remains in custody until his bail application is heard on 6 March 2018.
The man arrested for the murder of an albino girl and a 1-year-old baby confessed to police to beheading the body, this paper has learnt.
Sources who are privy to investigations said Thokozani Msibi who this week Tuesday made an appearance at the eMalahleni Magistrates Court in connection with the murder of 13-year-old Gabisile Shabane and Nkosikhona Ngwenya told cops where he had buried the remains of the albino girl and dumped the other baby.
Msibi, who is a traditional healer himself, then took cops to his operation room in the eMalahleni area where he took out the head of the child from a yellow bucket, already being used for muti, police sources said.
Msibi showing cops the head.
The killing of the girl has sent shock waves across the province – making national news and angering the entire community of eMalahleni.
On Tuesday this week outside the Down Town court police had to fire rubber bullets to control angry residents who were waiting at the exit of the court and demanding they hand Msibi over to them so that they kill him.
Angry residents protest outside court.
Angry residents retaliated, throwing stones and other objects at cops, saying cops were unfair in shooting them and not letting out the “devil” for them to kill.
Msibi (32) was arrested on Tuesday night last week ( 20 Feb) and led cops to the areas where he had allegedly buried Gabisile’s mutilated body and dumped Nkosikhona’s.
Police sources say Nkosikhona, whose body had not been cut of any part, was just found dumped but Gabisile’s badly mutilated and body had been buried in a shallow grave near the highway towards Tshwane.
Three other suspects have now been arrested in connection with the murder and are believed to have been part of a group of gunmen who came to Gabisile’s home in the Hlalanikahle township of Kwa-Guqa on the Sunday night of 28 January 2018, kidnapping them at gun-point while they were asleep with their moms.
He was arrested on Tuesday night this week and made a brief appearance.
eMalahleni mayor Lindiwe Ntshalintshali has commended the cops who nailed the man suspected of kidnapping and killing 13-year-old Gabisile Shabane and 1-year-old Nkosikhona Ngwenya.
The decomposed bodies of the two kids were found on the N4 towards Tshwane following their kidnapping on the Sunday night of 28 January 2018 while they were asleep with their moms at their home of Hlalanikahle township, Kwa-Guqa.
“The police officers deserve kudos,” Ntshalintshali said.
“The police officers who worked under tremendous pressure, and for long hours searching for the three suspects, have restored the community’s trust and confidence in the police system,” she said on Thursday.
“The arrest, while it will not bring back the two children, will go a long way to ease the pain of the family and the community.
“At least we now know who was behind the dreadful deed that was meted out at the two children,” the mayor said.
She said they hope the courts will “speed up the wheels of justice”.
Police spokesman Bridagier Leonard Hlathi said investigations are continuing as they believe the suspect, 32-year-old Thokozani Msibi, did not do ” the evil act alone”.
He said the decomposed bodies will undergo DNA test to determine whether they truly are those of the kids.
Mpumalanga police boss Lieutenant-General Mondli Zuma thanked the community members who assisted the cops with information, leading to the arrest of Msibi and the discover of the bodies.
The children were sleeping with their moms on the night when unknown men broke the dining room window, pointing a gun at their parents and disappearing with them into the night.
Msibi will be back at the eMalahleni Magistrates Court on 26 February 2018 for a formal bail application.
Ntshalintshali said: “This time we expect the wheels of justice to turn fast and to grind effectively”.
She called on community members who have been hurt and disgusted by the murders of the kids to exercise “maximum restraint” and allow law enforcement as well as the judiciary space to execute their duties without interference.
“God answered our prayers by giving police the necessary wisdom to crack this case and we hope that the judiciary will apply justice,” she said.