Infamous Moloto Road to be upgraded for R3.3bn

An accident involving a bus killed 6 people in February 2019.


It is government’s top priority to upgrade the infamous Moloto Road linking Gauteng, Mpumalanga and Limpopo.

This is according to transport minister Blade Nzimande. He said this week that cabinet has already adopted the plan.

An amount of R3.3 billion has been allocated for the Moloto project. The South African National Road Agency (Sanral) is expected to add an extra sum to the R3.3 billion.

Sanral will put R9 billion towards the road projects, resulting in over R13 billion in road infrastructure investment projects.

Over 50 000 people travel on the high accident-zone each day.

Last week 6 people were killed when the bus they were travelling in collided with an SBV cash-in-transit van.

The project, which will see the Limpopo and Mpumalanga sections of the road being seriously upgraded, is expected to create 12 500 jobs over the next five years.

Other projects that will be given priority in upgrading is –

• EB Cloete interchange between the N2 and the N3 in eThekwini at R1.5 billion

• Adding additional lanes in the roads between Camperdown and Cato Ridge and between Camperdown and Lynnfield Parks at R1.2 billion.

In the Moloto Road project, the minister said three work packages would be rolled out in Limpopo and 5 in Mpumalanga. This will occur during this financial year.

Remarking of roads, putting speeding cameras and marking centre lines to prevent drivers from straying into opposite direction lanes have just been the interventions government made in the past in dealing with road deaths, Nzimande said.

Nzimande said his department is open to the possibility of the private sector also investing – and the New Developmental Bank is expected to give Sanral some few billions of rands.

“We are going to be engaging stakeholders… [it] is still our intention,” he said.

(edited by MLM, with ANA)

Send tip-offs to [email protected]

Losi says endorsement of Dlamini-Zuma ‘to do with interests of men’

She says they are not going to allow women to be used by men.


Cosatu 2nd deputy president Zingiswa Losi is taking on those campaigning for ex-AU chairwoman Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma to succeed her ex-husband, saying these are men who want to use women for their own interests.

Losi was speaking at the Young Communist League’s Youth Day rally in eMalahleni on Sunday afternoon.

“We don’t have a problem with Mama Nkosazana,” she said while on stage.

“But we have problems if women are going to be used by men,” she said to thunderous applause.

“This call that the ANC is ready for a woman president is a call to use women to advance the narrow, myopic interests of men,” she said, provoking further applause.

Losi says endorsement of Dlamini-Zuma 'to do with interests of men'

Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma may be the first female president of the ANC since 1912. PIC: BuzzSA

“This call has got nothing to do with women. It’s got everything to do with the interests of those men that are corrupting the ANC and who want to stay in power but want to front with women,” said Losi.

“We’ve got problems with that,” she told the communist members and supporters gathered at the eMalahleni civic centre.

LATEST: Mabuza admits alliance at its weakest, repeats call for unity

ANC deputy president Cyril Ramaphosa and SACP leader Blade Nzimande were expected to deliver the ANC and SACP’s messages of supports at the YCL rally but both didn’t come, sending apologies instead.

ANC NEC member Aaron Motsoaledi delivered the ANC’s message of support on Ramaphosa’s behalf as well as SACP central committee member Madala Masuku in Nzimande’s stead, saying the deputy president was not able to come as he was seriously held up at his home.

Nzimande couldn’t come because of the death of his mother Nozipho who passed away a week ago and who was buried over the weekend in Edendale, KZN.

Losi says endorsement of Dlamini-Zuma 'to do with interests of men'

Zingiswa Losi. MfisoDIGITAL/ZK.

Dlamini-Zuma may be the first female president of the ANC since its in 1912 if her supporters have their way at the party’s 54th elective conference in December 2017.

Both Cosatu and SANCO have endorsed Ramaphosa to take over the reigns of the ANC instead of Dlamini-Zuma, saying Ramaphosa is the only one capable of uniting the ANC and fighting rampant corruption.

RELATED: Mabuza not impressed by Bonakele Majuba’s no-show

Losi warned that Radical Economic Transformation should not mean the looting of state-owned enterprises but real economic change favourable to workers, “not about the connected few, Zuma and Gupta family”.

She also condemned the recent march to SACP 2nd deputy secretary Solly Mapaila’s house three weeks ago by MKMVA members, saying as Cosatu they were still waiting for President Jacob Zuma to release a statement, distancing himself from the march.

“We haven’t heard him distancing himself. If he doesn’t distance himself it will mean he’s part of it,” Losi said.

(edited by MLM)

Send tips to [email protected]

ANCYL tells Nzimande 0% fee increase now – OPEN LETTER

This is an open letter to SACP General Secretary and Minister of Higher Education Blade Nzimande written by ANCYL Secretary-General Njabulo Nzuzo.


Revolutionary Greetings

I hope this letter finds you well,

I have taken a decision to write you this open letter, because I can see that all the private discussions we have had around free education for the poor and 0% fee are not bearing fruits. The situation is dire, institutions are burning with terror and violence is used against students on campuses. Some campuses are being shut down.

I have no interest in writing you a long letter but to request you to address the following as a matter of urgency;

•Urgently implement the decision of 0% fee increment as resolution of the last NEC meeting of the ANC. Any form of increment against poor students and “the missing middle” is not acceptable and should not be considered or talked about.

•Reduce your meetings with Vice Chancellors because, instead of transforming the system they will transform you to accept the system they have built which is abusive to students. You must spend more time with students who are the endusers of higher education.

•Please refrain and avoid sending messages of doubt about the policy of the ANC on free quality education for the poor. The implementation of free quality education for the poor is not an issue that is up for discussion but for implementation with speed.

READ: TIT FOR TAT: YCLSA rips into Zuma over Fess Must Fall

I hope you will come to the realization that the issues raised are critical. I really do not expect a letter explaining the process but one would expect that the issues raised will be resolved speedily. We can no longer accept tortoise velocity in dealing with these issues.

Comradely Yours

NJABULO B NZUZA

SECRETARY GENERAL (ANC Youth League)