She said the people of the area have genuine concerns and there was no way they would not want to hear her.
Mpumalanga Premier Refilwe Mtsweni says an incident of her addressing people using a police nyala and not addressing at a stadium has now been misunderstood to mean that she was chased away.
Mtsweni returned to the area this week following a stand-off with residents a week ago and said what really happened last week was not people chasing her out of the area but a matter of misunderstanding.
“What transpired on that day was that the majority of people had genuine concerns and they were willing to listen to us and we have addressed some of those community members already and when we got to the second stop our plan was that we would go to the stadium.
“But the people said to us, ‘please, can you address us here because we don’t want to go to the stadium but unfortunately we did not have the sound systems and that is why we had to rely on the police inyala which has now been misconstrued as me being hackled away of this,” Mtsweni said when she spoke to journalists on the sidelines of her meeting with the community on Tuesday this week.
SEE ALSO: Shoprite Liquor Looted in KaNyamazane protest
She said they have now resolved the issue and have given the contractors a maximum period of three weeks to fix the people’s homes “and if they are late we said let it be four weeks”.
She said it was their duty as government leaders to address the issues of the people on the ground “because they are the ones who are government”.
People in the area wants government to fix their homes that were badly damaged when a hailstorm hit the Mbombela township in May 2018.
They were complaining of the slow pace government was taking in fixing the homes.
Since Monday last week roads have been blockaded with burning tyres and rocks, a local shopping complex vandalised and shops looted, with schooling disrupted.
Over 2000 homes were affected by the hailstorm.
The Premier said there is also another project by national government to remove asbestos roofing.
“As you know the national government is trying do away with asbestos, some of these houses need to be part of that because some have asbestos roofing,” she said.
(edited by MLM)
Send tip-offs to [email protected]
The commission was investigating two statements the spin doctor released while he was the spokesperson of then Premier David ‘DD’ Mabuza.
The Public Service Commission has found that Mpumalanga government spin doctor Zibonele Mncwango breached professional ethics when he used government resources to defend the personal and ANC matters of then Premier DD Mabuza.
Action has now been recommended against Mncwango for “abuse of resources”.
On 5 May 2017, Mncwango released a media statement and which was later published on the Mpumalanga government website replying to a high court judgement in which a judge dismissed Mabuza’s defamation case against ANC former treasurer Mathews Phosa.
Mabuza had taken Phosa to the Tshwane high court following allegations Phosa made in 2015 that Mabuza was a spy during apartheid.
ALSO READ: Mabuza ‘feels vindicated’ after losing defamation case
Phosa said he had found a document that alleged Mabuza was operating under the code name PN485 and served to inform apartheid officials about the movements of senior leaders like ex-leader Jacob Zuma and basic education minister Angie Motshega from 1985 to 1993.
Mabuza refuted this, saying it was a political campaign aimed at toppling him as a leader of the ANC in the Mpumalanga province and Premier.
He alleged Phosa was one of the authors of the document in his drive to take him out of power and then approached the court, suing Phosa R10 million for defamation of character.
But the Tshwane high court dismissed the case, saying Mabuza failed to show how Phosa invented the document.
“The so-called spy dossier has no owner or author and remains just a smear campaign document produced by faceless authors for their smear campaign agendas,” Mncwango said at the time.
The DA went to the Public Service Commission and laid a complaint against Mncwango, charging the matter between Phosa and Mabuza had nothing to do with government.
SEE ALSO: Mabuza won’t say anything on Phosa’s ‘baby’ comments
“The heading of the judgement by the Gauteng High Court in respect of the matter upon which Mr Mncwango issued an official statement clearly alludes to Mr David Dadebe Mabuza in his personal capacity and not as Premier of Mpumalanga,” the commission said this week in its findings.
“There is therefore little room for doubt that the action by Mr Mncwango is not only wrongful but lacks the necessary professional ethics befitting of [a] public servant,” the commission charged, recommending that the director-general of the Mpumalanga government, Mathews Mohlasedi, takes actions against Mncwango and prevent further abuse of state resources from happening again in the future.
SEE ALSO: Mathews Phosa won’t bring a good man down
(edited by ZK)
Send tip-offs to [email protected]