ANC deputy president DD Mabuza expects large numbers of people will vote his party in Mpumalanga on 8 May 2019.
“It will go back to 80% or 82%. The DA might reverse,” said Mabuza.
Mabuza visited areas in Gert Sibande, eHlanzeni and Nkangala regions, promising unhappy ANC members that issues of infighting in the province would be solved. He also told potential voters that the ANC does listen to them.
He said certain mistakes were done by the party and they were apologising as ANC as “it will never happen again”.
He met with traditional leaders and engaged in door-to-door campaigns.
He said that he expects the Bushbuckridge Resident Association, a splinter group of the ANC that has various seats at the Bushbuckridge local municipality and one at the Mpumalanga legislature, will not return after 8 May 2019.
He also added it is only the ANC that will live forever.
He came to the province in order to remind supporters to vote for his party.
EFF national leader Julius Malema used his party’s election campaign to rip into ANC deputy president DD Mabuza, accusing him of being the most corrupt leader who deserves jail.
Malema said the EFF, once it wins after 8 May 2019, will make sure that the man goes to jail including former and current leaders Jacob Zuma and Cyril Ramaphosa.
He said both Mabuza and Zuma would be arrested by the EFF government for corruption, while Ramaphosa would account for the deaths of Marikana workers.
“Mpumalanga the home of corruption will be turned into the home of hope for the hopeless masses of our people,” Malema said at the Sy Mthimunye stadium in Ackerville, eMalahleni Saturday (23 Mar).
“DD Mabuza for a long time was stealing money in this province for himself and money which was supposed to develop the nation. We will arrest DD and send him to prison. But before we arrest DD we will start with Jacob Zuma. He must rot in jail. He is the father of corruption,” he said to applause.
EFF leader Julius Malema addressing at the Sy Mthimunye stadium in Ackerville, eMalahleni Saturday
“Following Zuma to prison will be Cyril Ramaphosa for killing 34 mineworkers of Marikana. Their spirit is not resting,” Malema said.
He said the spirit of the killed workers was “still not resting” and as EFF they want them to “rest in perfect peace”.
“They will never rest in perfect peace as long as Cyril Ramaphosa is still free. The third one will be DD Mabuza for stealing the money of Mpumalanga.
“He must thank the Constitutional Court because we wanted them to arrest him for smoking those greener arrangement but now that thing is legal, so we will drop that charge but the charge of corruption of DD Mabuza is not a charge we can drop. These people have been looting this province. If you not a friend of DD Mabuza you will never work in Mpumalanga government,” Malema said to deafening applause.
EFF members chant and sing during the rally in Kwa-Guqa, eMalahleni
Malema had quite a busy schedule the past weekend. He had to rush to the eMalahleni area after addressing a rally in Limpopo the same Saturday.
Malema said people who were not friends of Mabuza in Mpumalanga were not given tenders, even small work such as supplying toilet paper “DD wants for himself and his friends, nothing for the people”.
“That must come to an end. We must make sure we restore the dignity of the people of eMalahleni,” Malema said, “because when you drive here in eMalahleni it’s potholes all over. We want that to come to an end because these people have been stealing”.
He had moved from one faction to another, making a botched decision in the 11th hour during a September 2018 conference.
Mpumalanga senior fighter Cyril Chuene has been put last in the EFF Mpumalanga legislature list released this week.
Chuene is battling at number 29, despite being a former provincial organiser of the party in the province and a close friend of chairman Collen Sedibe.
Last year when party leader Julius Malema sacked provincial secretary Alfred Skhosana for ‘underperformance’, creating a vacancy in the legislature, Chuene had hoped that the party would choose him as Skhosana’s replacement but instead current deputy chairman Sam Zandamela was sworn in.
The troubles in Chuene’s political life began a year ago when he wanted to contest a position in the top 5 during a Provincial People’s Assembly held on 1 September 2018 at the Ingwenyama Resort, Mbombela.
First, Chuene wanted to be the chair but when he realised Sedibe was having more supporters he switched and wanted to be the secretary.
In that way, the EFF in Mpumalanga was going to have a chairperson and secretary coming from the same region (eHlanzeni). But delegates dumped Chuene and chose Gert Sibande region’s Gcina Mofokeng as secretary, Sedibe as chair, Nkangala’s Zandamela as deputy chair and Bohlabela’s Ntsako Mkhabela as deputy secretary.
During the conference, Chuene – who is also an EFF councillor in the eHlanzeni district municipality – didn’t even make it as additional member of the provincial command team (PCT).
The council vows they will make the necessary noise to draw the attention of national leadership.
A war waged by the MK Council in the Mpumalanga province looks set to give the Mpumalanga ANC a very rough time, one that will ensure its leadership is completely changed.
The MK Council say they are not surrendering until fundamental changes have been achieved in the ANC of the province.
They accuse the ANC of “elevating” people who have no capacity to occupy positions of power and of being “corrupt to the core” while at the same time bribing journalists to not expose them”.
Basically the Mpumalanga ANC’s provincial executive committee and their regional committees are seen as groupings that care for their own interests and that have maintained a social distance while abandoning service delivery to their loyal voters.
“This corruption in Mpumalanga needs to be brought to the attention of the nation,” MK Council spokesman Jacques Madipane said when he spoke to the media.
He said this happening because a certain grouping in Mpumalanga has “cloned and compromised the ANC”.
“Our call is that for us to remove this corruption and fix these leaders we have to disband the PEC of the ANC in this province,” he told the SABC.
There has been a growing call for the Mpumalanga ANC PEC to be disbanded.
One faction aligned to chairman hopeful Peter Nyoni is currently taking the ANC to court in order to have the PEC disbanded and its 2015 resolutions done away with.
Weeks ago the outcomes of a planned provincial list conference was criticised as being “abnormal” and not reflecting the views of the branches by the ANCYL in the province and the MK Council.
They accused the “abusive dominant faction” of manipulating the outcomes against the will of branches in order to have the people they want there but acting ANC secretary Lindiwe Ntshalintshali said all the people who said certain people were removed from the list clearly didn’t understand ANC processes.
“If you received less than 10 branches, nobody removed you. It’s the process that removed you. You didn’t qualify,” said Ntshalintshali, adding they followed all processes as PEC.
“As the Mpumalanga ANC we have complied in terms of all the processes and we have taken the mandate that was given to the PEC and List Committee to the National List Conference and we are respecting our structures,” she said.
The MK Council said their newly launched Cadres Forum will go all the way “to cleanse the ANC and restore it back to the people”.
They say a planned list conference went the way it was supposed to and those who are suggesting otherwise are not honest.
The Mpumalanga ANC has slammed suggestions that it presided over an “abnormal” list conference which saw certain leaders being allegedly removed from the list, saying the MK Council is a factional grouping of the MKMVA and they will always say such.
In their operation they will always try and portray the leadership as bad because they believe it’s not leadership when they are not there, it said.
The party says all processes were followed and there would not be ways where the votes could have be manipulated in favour of certain people.
Provincial acting secretary Lindiwe Ntshalintshali responds following threats made by the MK Council a week ago – where they called on national leader Cyril Ramaphosa to intervene and suspend the Mpumalanga list conference because it was rigged or “perverted”.
READ ALSO: MK Council threatens violence over list irregularities
The ANCYL in the province has also questioned the outcomes of the list conference, saying such was not the view of the branches.
Ntshalintshali said those who say so “clearly do not understand internal processes” and there was no way the processes could have been rigged in favour of certain leaders aligned to a dominant faction.
“It’s about branches. If branches don’t put your name or the people you want [then] you go all over the place telling people that processes were not followed. You are being unfair,” Ntshalintshali said when she spoke to the 013NEWS reporter over the phone.
She said the conference was run by an election team appointed by Luthuli House.
Ntshalintshali said there were three lists for the list conference – province to province, province to national and national to national and branches were given the opportunity to choose 20 leaders per list.
She said during the nomination process once a leader’s name got nominated by over 10 branches that person would then qualify to be on the ballot paper ahead of a conference.
“If you received less than 10 branches, nobody removed you. It’s the process that removed you. You didn’t qualify,” she said over the phone.
She said that the MK Council is a group of people that broke away from the MKMVA and in the ANC “we don’t have a structure called MK Council. This is a faction”.
She said the person being quoted in media as the council’s provincial executive committee member, Jacques Modipane, cannot even win a branch.
Ntshalintshali said Modipane’s ward in Bushbuckridge is run by the Bushbuckridge Residents Association and if he must speak about provincial issues why is he not sorting out his branch issue.
“He was once a PEC member and an MEC. Imagine his own ward is run by the opposition but he expects to be elected into the list. Even if we can give him an opportunity to run as a ward councillor he won’t win. So you see a person like that,” Ntshalintshali said.
The list conference was held at the Mbombela stadium on 9 December 2018 to elect leaders who should go to the legislature and Parliament.
The MK Council has said that the processes were not followed and were calling on Ramaphosa to suspend the list outcomes, citing that it was marred by manipulation.
The council said that if Ramaphosa didn’t adhere to their call for the suspension of the list conference they would resort to violence and “dead bodies will be picked from the street”.
“Our warning to the president is that, please see this team. We don’t want to collect bodies on the streets, people not able to go to work and schools being disturbed,” Modipane, said.
But Ntshalintshali said as ANC they are not scared of the MK Council.
She said as long as they know that they are in the right, nobody can threaten the movement.
“We are saying that there would not be ways where the processes could have been manipulated. People are just being unfair and calling for unnecessary attention,” she said.