He said as a young person he had no choice but to enrol and empower himself educationally.
ANCYL deputy president Desmond Moela is getting a diploma in March 2019, he told this paper.
Moela said he’d been with the Tshwane University of Technology since 2015, studying public management.
The graduation ceremony will be held March this year, he said.
“I am going to graduate this year. Now in March. And I have also been accepted for a BTech degree and I’m studying again this year,” he said when he spoke to the 013NEWS reporter at the eMalahleni banquet hall the past weekend.
Moela had attended safety and security MEC Pat Ngomane’s foundation gala dinner that aims help fund the poor to access tertiary education.
Both Moela and businessman Gabriel Ngomane addressed the event of about 50 people before Pat delivered the main address.
While on stage, Moela said he had now “defeated the people who have been saying that I am a drop-out because this year I’m graduating”.
He told 013NEWS that he will study his BTech degree as a full-time student.
“At the end I want to become a doctor. I want to be called ‘Dr. Moela’,” he said on Saturday night.
“I’m not going to rest until I’m called ‘Dr. Moela’,” he added.
In his address, Pat Ngomane said he took the advice of his late spokesperson Joseph Mabuza who said they should instead register a foundation where businesspeople would pump money towards the tertiary education of those who cannot afford.
He said for some time now they would identify pupils from poor families and help send them to universities.
He said they did it “the old way” but the foundation “I think is coming to assist a lot”, saying many young people found themselves frustrated by the processes of the National Financial Student Aid Scheme (NFSAS).
Ngomane said the door of learning “should be opened even wider”.
“When I urge all of us to keep the door of learning wider open I mean that all of us are responsible or can contribute,” he said.
He added it was important that even those ones who are not able to reach university are assisted.
“We must not abandon [them] and say ‘because they fail we don’t need them’.
“Last year I paid for another kid and he failed everything. But we took a decision and we said, ‘No, because he failed let him re-register all the subjects and pay from his own pocket and if he passes the subjects this year we will pay for him next year but then soon afterwards I remembered that myself I had somebody paying for my tuition fee and I failed all the subjects the first year.
“The person who was paying for me came and said, ‘No, I will pay for you again. Get a second chance’ and I was able to improve and passed the following year,” he said.
Former Nkangala ANCYL chairman Mduduzi ‘Mswati’ Nkosi who also runs a foundation introduced Ngomane on stage.
Mayor Linah Malatjie, SASCO’s Jacob Tau and Faith Msibi as well as youth league treasurer Sam Masango formed part of those who came to Ngomane’s foundation launch.
They say a disagreement broke out over the branch not reaching a quorum.
An ANCYL branch tussle at Bohlabela’s ward 29 has now been reported to the cops.
The assault case was opened against branch chairman Ntiyiso Makaringe, the child of Bushbuckridge municipal chief whip Million Makaringe.
The matter was opened Friday morning this week at the Mhala police station in Bushbuckridge.
The wrestling began when former league regional acting secretary Nhlamulo Mayindi questioned whether the branch could go ahead with a BGM after it was found that only 32 members in a branch that was supposed to have a minimum of 95 members attending in order to reach a quorum.
Mayindi claimed that when Makaringe opened the meeting he told members that inside the Manukusi High School class there were 102 of them and that the meeting reached a quorum.
Nhlamulo Mayindi’s cellphone was smashed against the floor when he tried to take a video of meeting, accused of not being a “videographer”.
“I raised my hand and I was given the opportunity to speak,” Mayindi said when he spoke to the 013NEWS reporter after opening the case Friday morning.
“Then I said No, but chair let’s do a head count and we discovered that there was only 32 of us and not the 102 the chairperson claimed when he opened the meeting,” he said.
The 32 branch members who attended the meeting.
The regions and branches are divided in the Mpumalanga province ahead of a provincial congress 7 December 2018 between supporters of Trevor Nkosi and Thabang Mathebula for the position of chair.
The Nkosi group wants Ndumiso Mokako as secretary general when a national congress is held on 16 December 2018 while the Mathebula group pushes current provincial secretary Pholoso Mbatsane for the secretary general position.
Nhlamulo Mayindi who was allegedly manhandled by branch leader Ntiyiso Makaringe.
“They then smashed my phone against the floor. When I tried to take it, he took it first and threw it out through the window,” he said.
“I wanted to take the video so that when I make a dispute to the upper structure I would have the evidence of how they are convening BGMs in order to put the people they want by force,” he said.
Mayindi leads a faction that is opposed to Mbatsane becoming the secretary – instead they want Bheki Sithole to be the secretary, Nkosi the chair, Mokako the SG and Thanduxolo Sabelo the President.
“They accused me of not being a videographer. Then broke my phone. I have laid charges of malicious damage to my property and assault,” he said.
The police in Mhala confirmed Friday mid-day that case number 77/11/2018 was opened by an “ANCYL person” and that he told them “a suspect broke his phone and assaulted him”.
Regional secretary Maurice Khoza said Mayindi was supposed to report the matter to the REC and had he done that they were going to know.
“As the REC we don’t promote physical resolutions,” Khoza.
“We condemn it only if there was an incident of that kind. He must report it to the regional secretary’s office so that we attend to it straight away,” he said.
He said it was a lie that ward 29 didn’t follow organisational rules when conducting the BGM and electing delegates.
Mayindi on the other hand says the reason he didn’t report the matter to the REC is because he doesn’t recognise them as they are an “imposed structure” and were elected in a meeting that was conducted “unfairly”, bringing in “bogus delegates” in May 2018 and in deputy president Desmond Moela and ANC spokeswoman Sasekani Manzini’s watch who he says are their “puppets”.
The league is faced with two important congresses – a provincial and a national one – and jostling for positions has begun.
The factional fights of the ANCYL ahead of two important congresses are the reason ANC deputy president DD Mabuza snubbed the ANCYL’s 74th birthday celebration, this paper has learnt.
Some branches across the Mpumalanga province have started convening BGMs to nominate favoured candidates ahead of a provincial elective conference, a conference important going to the national one where the claws are out between contestants NEC member Ndumiso Mokako and national treasurer Reggie Nkabinde.
Senior ANC sources in the Mpumalanga province said Mabuza was made aware in the 11th hour that the 74th birthday celebration at the Sydney Choma community hall in Middelburg was going to be more of a launch of Nkabinde’s campaign than a birthday celebration.
“He was briefed on Saturday not to come because that was actually gonna be the launch of Reggie’s campaign. Mabuza doesn’t really want to publicly associate with a slate in the ANCYL though Pholoso Mbatsane is his favoured candidate for the position of national secretary,” the source said.
“But Mabuza doesn’t want to do that overtly, so that is why you saw [deputy president Desmond] Moela and [ANC provincial spokeswoman] Sasekani Manzini. Those are one of people who do Mabuza’s work on the ground,” said the source.
Reason national leader Collen ‘Oros’ Maine also snubbed the event was because Maine wants Mokako, who also snubbed the event, to be the President and “wouldn’t want to be overridden by the Nkangala ANCYL that actually organised the event,” the source said.
The event was then addressed by outgoing deputy president Desmond Moela, who called for unity in the league and said if the leaguers didn’t unite now they would just have to “forget” about liberating the youth of this country.
Mpumalanga provincial secretary Pholoso Mbatsane (L) and national treasurer Reggie Nkabinde (R).
Moela wants Nkabinde to be the President on a slate that wants provincial secretary Pholoso Mbatsane as the secretary general.
The Nkabinde camp also wants Nkangala secretary Thabang Mathebula to be Mpumalanga ANCYL chairman when a provincial congress is held soon.
But this is setting them against the Mokako camp which wants Gert Sibande’s Trevor Nkosi to become the chair. Nkosi is current provincial deputy chair.
The source say the reason Mokako, Maine and Mabuza didn’t come “is the issue of association”.
The Mokako campaign is currently experiencing hardships after Sabelo was discovered to be having secret meetings with former President Jacob Zuma allegedly plotting to oust current leader Cyril Ramaphosa.
The Sunday event was chaired by Nkangala regional leader Bobo Mtshweni and saw Nkabinde flanked by Mathebula, Moela, Mbatsane, provincial leader Tim Mashele, Manzini, Nkangala ANC chair Speedy Mashilo and secretary Leah Khoza.
Mpumalanga ANCYL leader Tim Mashele. 013NEWS/ZK.
“Collen, there was no way he was gonna come. It’s the issue of association my brother like I’m telling you,” said the source.
Moela and Manzini are accused by a disgruntled faction aligned to Mokako in the Bohlabela region of having delivered a league regional leadership through unfairness and alleged use of “bogus delegates”.
Asked why he did not attend Sunday’s celebration, Mokako said he could not make it to the event because he “did not have money”.
“Remember you need petrol to get to a place,” he said while laughing over the phone.
Provincial acting chairman Mandla Ndlovu, who also snubbed the event, said the reason he did not come despite being put on the program was because he had “flu”.
“I’m sick you won’t believe. I have flu,” he said over the phone.
“I don’t know that I was on the program,” said Ndlovu.
Manzini asked that all queries be directed to the ANCYL as that was an ANCYL event.
Provincial spokesman Bheki Sithole said the event was not a launch of Nkabinde’s campaign but a birthday celebration but can’t say those who say so are lying.
“Look it’s no secret that the ANCYL is due for a congress and during such time it happens that comrades lobby each other, so I won’t say whether those who say that was a campaign are lying or not but what I know is that it was a celebration,” Sithole said.
“All I know is that it was a 74th birthday celebration of the ANCYL and was organised nationally,” he said.
Nkabinde himself denied the stage was set for him to launch his campaign.
“You can’t say a celebration of the ANCYL is a launch of a campaign. That is so incorrect,” he said.
He added that an apology was sent by Mabuza to national secretary Njabulo Nzuza because Mabuza “had an emergency”.
National spokesman Mlondolozi Mkhize didn’t answer repeated calls on Sunday night and Monday morning.
They also mention YCL provincial spokesman Lucky Zitha as their preferred man for the position of provincial deputy chair.
Bohlabela ANCYL members belonging to a faction that wrote to national secretary Njabulo Nzuza complaining about a May 2018 regional elective congress being marred by unfairness are currently infiltrating the ground to garner enough support for league provincial spokesman Bheki Sithole to become the provincial secretary when a congress is held soon.
Led by Bushbuckridge subregion ward 10 chairman Kabelo Ndziyo, the members said they are on a mission to seek a new leadership in the province that will “revive” the ANCYL from its “grave”. The group believes Ndumiso Mokako is the right leader for the position of President, Trevor Nkosi for the position of Mpumalanga league chairperson and Sithole as secretary.
They also want Lucky Zitha, the YCL provincial spokesman, to become the deputy chairman.
But this is setting them against the leadership that won the May congress which wants provincial secretary Pholoso Mbatsane to retain his post.
The group stood up and left the May 2018 Bohlabela ANCYL elective conference in exodus soon after credentials were adopted, complaining that NEC deployee deputy president Desmond Moela was conducting the conference unfairly and they no longer wanted to participate.
The Bohlabela conference hall after the other faction had allegedly staged an exodus, crying unfairness.
They later wrote a letter to Nzuza complaining of the way the conference was conducted and the “bogus delegates” that were allegedly added to defeat them.
“We want Trevor as chair, Lucky Zitha as deputy chair, Bheki Sithole as secretary, Musa Nkuna as deputy secretary and Sthembile Mhlongo as treasurer,” Ndziyo told the 013NEWS reporter this week Wednesday.
He said nationally they will prefer Mokako and KZN secretary Thanduxolo Sabelo as secretary general and that they had the number of branches to ensure this happens.
“We don’t want Pholoso Mbatsane because he is part of the group that was conducting the conference unfairly and robbing us in order to get the people they want to remote-control to emerge.
“Both Tim Mashele and Mbatsane failed the ANCYL, we don’t want them. Since they got elected in 2015 they never had programs,” he said.
“Trevor is better because we saw what he did in Gert Sibande in terms of programs and is someone who is not arrogant and is able to deal with people peacefully and that’s why we want him and Sithole,” Ndziyo said.
The Ndziyo group had wanted former acting regional secretary Nhlamulo Mayindi to become the secretary as well as Musa Nkuna to become the chair but lost to Precious Tonga who got elected the chairwoman as well as Mourice Khoza who became the secretary on the day they chose to leave.
They claim the current leadership of Tonga and Khoza is an “imposed structure” and is scared of calling a Regional General Council to finish the business of the May 2018 congress “because they know they don’t have the branches” and were elected by “bogus delegates”.
They also accuse them of being “remote-controlled” by ANC provincial spokeswoman Sasekani Manzini and “cannot do anything without her permission”.
“Precious even worked in Sasekani’s office and each and every program they want to have they ask Sasekani first and if she says no they won’t do it,” Ndziyo said.
Manzini, who is also health MEC, is from the Bohlabela region and previously served as the ANCYL provincial secretary.
“That structure we don’t recognise it. It is a structure of Sasekani and Desmond,” he said, adding that the reason the structure was “imposed” it was for the sole reason of using it to pronounce league provincial leader Tim Mashele as the regional secretary of the ANC in the Bohlabela region in the near future.
Sasekani Manzini (L), Tim Mashele (C) and Desmond Moela (R). 013NEWS/ZK.
Ndziyo said the current leadership has few branches, “very few” and that of the 123 delegates that attended the May 2018 congress a number of 74 delegates were “on our side and that is the reason they had to get bogus delegates to add to their numbers,” he said.
Manzini told the 013NEWS reporter that she refuses to be dragged into ANCYL squabbles as she is no longer an ANCYL member.
She said she only attended the May 2018 conference as an invited guest and is having nothing to do with the other claims.
Moela promised he would respond to media enquiries but never did.
Regional secretary Mourice Khoza rejected the claims, saying the Ndziyo group will always say but can never give names of the people they claim were bogus delegates.
Bohlabela ANCYL chairwoman Precious Tonga.
“Everything in that congress was fair. I was contesting against the former Regional Task Team member comrade Nhlamulo Mayindi and delegates from branches rejected him,” Khoza said.
“We were not imposed at all but elected by branch delegates of Bohlabela region,” he said, “and I think it’s about time they must provide names of the so-called bogus delegates and the names of delegates they say left congress, they can’t provide that information because there is no such,” Khoza said.
Khoza said as far he knows the few BGMs that had taken place had nominated Mbatsane to retain the post of secretary.
“We are busy with BGMs and few branches which went to their respective BGMs in the region want Lucky Zitha to be deputy chairperson and Pholoso Mbatsane to retain his position as secretary of the province.
“We will support anyone for chairperson and we are waiting for the other regions to lobby us as a region. I heard that there is a name of Thabang Mathebula and Trevor Nkosi. Both are capable to lead the province,” the secretary said.
Provincial spokesman Bheki Sithole said it was good that branches were conducting BGMs to choose preferred candidates and were exercising their constitutional rights in that manner.
He said any member of the ANCYL in good standing had a right to elect or get elected, adding that he will only stand “only if I’m approached by branches, not just a person standing there calling my name. No”.
He said it was the branches that have the right to choose who must lead the province and “not the province”.
“If branches sit and put people’s names forward, people they believe should lead the province they are practising their constitutional mandate and is a mandate that no one should take away from the branches. It must be a bottom up approach and not the other way around,” Sithole said.