The civic organisation says allegations made against it in the media are just ‘defamation of character’.
The South African National Civic Organisation in the Mpumalanga province has approached the cops.
This follows a march to Nkomati Mine between Badplaas and Machadodorp in which community members marched against the influence in procurement and employment that leaders of the civic organisation have at the mine.
They charged that those who are not in the good books of SANCO were sidelined and not getting tenders and employment at the mine.
The march to the nickel mine, partly owned by Sundowns football club president Patrice Motsepe, occured on 7 July 2017 but things took a bad turn a week ago when one of the leaders of the march went to the Ligwalagwala FM to paint the civic organisation as a dishonest movement.
Provincial spokesman Bongani Mwale approached the cops on Friday evening and laid charges of defamation of character.
Mwale was accompanied by Gert Sibande SANCO leader Dan Khumalo.
Mwale on Facebook said the civic organisation will not hesitate to take bold steps in the face of ANC leaders attacking it.
“MECs, mayors, councilors and members of the ANC attack leaders of the other alliance formations, [indirectly] and direct,” he said.
Officials say a memorial service will be held for the 18 victims.
The truck-driver of the grisly crash that left 18 mine-workers dead has been charged.
Officials say the man, a Mozambican national, appeared briefly at the Machadodorp magistrate court facing 18 charges of culpable homicide.
He remains in custody pending bail application.
His truck was involved in a collision with two mini-buses, a Quantum and a 22-seater, that were transporting mine workers to the Nkomati Mine on Tuesday (4 Jul) on the R541 road between Badplaas and Machadodorp.
Sixteen people died at the scene while two more succumbed to their injuries at the Belfast Hospital. Others are battling for their lives at the same hospital.
One of the 18 was buried on Wednesday (5 Jul) at his home in Johannesburg.
Six will be buried in Machadodorp the coming weekend and the rest will be will be buried at their respective areas in KZN, Eastern Cape, Limpopo and Free State.
“Together with the mine management, Government will assist the bereaved families with counselling services, burial costs, transport and other logistic arrangements with the aim of easing the pressure from the grieving family members,” Mpumalanga safety and security spokesman Joseph Mabuza said in a statement.
“We are also talking with mine management to develop an after care programme for the families of the victims of the crash so to empower them to face life courageously now that some of the bread-winners within the families are unable to provide,” he said.
The man says he had a brawl with the SANCO strongman and then found himself being kicked and hit with chairs by four men he sent afterwards.
An employee working for one of Patrice Motsepe’s sub-contractors at the Nkomati Mine between Badplaas and Machadodorp in Mpumalanga has told 013NEWS that the provincial executive committee member of the South African National Civic Organisation sent people to come assault him.
The incident happened last week Monday at the Nkomati Mine-controlled Sinethemba community centre in Badplaas.
Doctor Thela said the man were sent by Doctor Mwale, who works as a Nkomati Mine head of community development.
Mwale is also a powerful figure of the South African National Civic Organisation in Mpumalanga while Thela is employed by Aveng Moolmans, a sub-contractor at the nickel mine, as a cleaner at the Badplaas community centre.
Thela said he refused for weeks to take instructions from Mwale “because I don’t work for Nkomati but for Moolmans and I cannot take instructions from Nkomazi”.
He said he had actually been employed by Moolmans to clean the offices at the Sinethemba community centre but then Mwale, who works for Nkomati, came and instructed him “in a way that undermined me and showed he had powers over everyone”.
“I refused. I told him I won’t do that. I report to Moolmans, not him,” Thela told the 013NEWS reporter.
“Last week Monday at around 12 he came and told me that I don’t listen and said if I don’t want to work I must say. He threatened he had the power to fire me if I don’t want to work and we started arguing and I was very angry, I almost assaulted him,” Thela said.
Nkomati mine head of community development and SANCO Mpumalanga PEC member Doctor Mwale.
013NEWS understands that Thela grabbed Mwale by the clothes during this argument and threatened to hit him with an object he picked up afterwards on ground.
Thela told the 013NEWS reporter that Mwale then left and six men allegedly then arrived, of which four entered the premises and assaulted him.
Assaulted: Doctor Thela.
He said he was treated by a doctor at Nhlazatshe near Badplaas and has been given three days off work to heal following the incident.
Mwale didn’t respond to texts sent on his cellphone on Thursday last week nor answer 013NEWS’ phone calls.
In a reply to an e-mail sent by Thela’s family lodging a complaint against Mwale, Nkomati Mine general manager Bertina Symonds promised to investigate the matter.
She wrote: “A full scale investigation into this matter has been actioned. All parties directly involved will be interviewed”.
Symonds confirmed to 013NEWS on Monday this week that Thela’s case was received but then asked that all questions be e-mailed.
Mwale, a shrewd SANCO PEC member and former school principal, is believed to be one of the most powerful and resourced SANCO leaders in the Mpumalanga province.
In the e-mail to Symonds, one of Thela’s brothers, Jabulani Thela, said: “This matter has caused a lot of grieve and pain to the family, because it’s a pure evidence that Mr Mwale he does as he pleases because is of the notion that he is untouchable”.