‘DD Mabuza promised three leaders they would succeed him’

The province is currently struggling to hold a PGC that will elect his successor.


ANC deputy president DD Mabuza promised three leaders that they would replace him during the time there was a furore over former President Jacob Zuma’s fate as the country’s president, two insiders have said.

The sources said Mabuza attended his last provincial executive committee meeting of the ANC in the Mpumalanga province early this year and in it he told PEC member Fish Mahlalela that he “will take this thing”.

“It’s yours. Take it,” said one of the sources, referring to the provincial chairmanship position that Mabuza left when he got elected the deputy president on 18 December 2017.

“He told him he wanted somebody who is disciplined and who would be the beacon of hope for the masses of the people and who would maintain stability and keep the unity of the movement,” the source told the 013NEWS reporter.

'DD Mabuza promised three leaders they would succeed him'

Fish Mahlalela

Later on, Mabuza told Peter Nyoni, who is co-operative governance head, to “prepare himself” as he was leaving him the position, the source said.

“He basically told Nyoni same thing,” the source said.

Mabuza was elected the deputy president during a national elective congress at the Nasrec Expo Centre in Soweto.

On 27 February 2018, President Cyril Ramaphosa appointed him the country’s deputy president.

Ramaphosa – who was himself the country’s deputy president and who was elected ANC President in the same Nasrec conference – was elected by Parliament on 15 February 2018 to replace Zuma who was forced to resign on the night of 14 February.

The source said it was during this time of the commotion around Zuma’s fate that Mahlalela and Nyoni got to be promised the Mpumalanga ANC chair seat.

“Then a week later Mabuza delivered the state of the province address at the legislature and then told crowds afterwards that Mandla Ndlovu should take the position,” the insider said.

ALSO RELATED: DD Mabuza aids Mandla Ndlovu’s campaign, endorses him to succeed him

Mahlalela confirmed on Friday midday that he was promised the position and that Mabuza “just said it in passing”.

“I don’t think he really meant it because subsequently to that he publicly endorsed comrade  Mandla [Ndlovu]. It was during a PEC meeting in January and he said this thing in front of everybody that he was leaving the position to me but I think he was just saying it in passing,” Mahlalela said over the phone.

Nyoni said there was no way Mabuza would have wanted him to be his successor “because of my struggles in the ANC”.

“That is that an impression created. First of all that is not the proper way of getting a successor. You can’t say to me I will be your successor, only the branches can say that,” nyoni said on Thursday afternoon.

He said the only time he discussed ANC matters with Mabuza was two years ago and they spoke about factionalism, gate-keeping and the need to unite the ANC.

“I’m not his favoured candidate and never was,” Nyoni said.

ALSO RELATED :Mandla Msibi: ‘Pat Ngomane had no right to victimise me’

SEE ALSO: ANC hauled into court to dissolve Mpumalanga PEC

The province previously had Pat Ngomane, a close friend of Mabuza who hails from his home region of eHlanzeni, poised for the position but a powerful lobby group aligned to the deputy president now wants Ngomane to be the secretary, Ndlovu the chair and Nkangala leader Speedy Mashilo the deputy chair.

Provincial spokeswoman Sasekani Manzini had also been punted amongst those who should succeed Mabuza as well as controversial Mbombela speaker Mandla Msibi, Charles Makola, Mahlalela, Ndlovu, Nyoni and David Dube who are also jostling for the seat.

(edited by ZK)

Send tip-offs to [email protected]

‘Pat Ngomane had no right to victimise me’

He had been taken away by the cops on malicious damage to property charges.


Contestant for the Mpumalanga position of ANC deputy president DD Mabuza is accusing Safety and Security MEC Pat Ngomane of using state resources to victimise him.

Mandla Msibi, who wants to be chairman of the ANC in the province, spoke to students at the Acornhoek Tvet College on Saturday afternoon and said more than 150 cops came to his house to arrest him.

He was nabbed on Monday morning a week ago.

“If you have a view about a specific person that you want to lead the ANC, pursue your view without assassinating the character of the other contender,” Msibi said to the students.

“Comrade Pat Ngomane must stop using state security apparatus to fight political battles in the ANC,” he told the applauding students who had come to fill the main hall of the college.

Msibi addressed the Nelson Mandela memorial lecture organised by PRET and supported by SASCO in the campus.

He was arrested on Monday last week on charges on malicious damage to property and released on a warning, according to provincial media.

A community meeting in the area of Pienaar had accused Msibi, the speaker of the Mbombela municipality, of corruption and Msibi allegedly went to revenge those who held the meeting by attacking them, Mpumalanga News reported, and the cops swooped.

But in Acornhoek, Msibi said he had never seen such a large number of police officers coming to arrest an individual in his life.

He claimed this was done by Ngomane to make sure he doesn’t stand for nomination as he will be facing criminal charges.

“When they came to my house to arrest me they said that I was being charged for house robbery, that I took a TV but when we were there at the police station they changed and said I was being charged for malicious damage to property. I was shocked. And when I asked they said ‘no, don’t worry, we will take you back to your house’.”

He said he phoned Ngomane and told him he was intending to sue the state for “unlawful arrest, malicious prosecution and defamation of character”.

“I put him on loud-speaker and comrade Pat just said ok,”Msibi said.

Ngomane’s spokesman Joseph Mabuza said the MEC doesn’t interfere in the daily operation of the cops.

“He didn’t even know about the case. I’m the one that called him after I had media enquiries that Mandla Msibi is arrested and asked me to check what he had been arrested for. It will be wrong to say the MEC directs the cops on who to arrest and who not to arrest,” Mabuza said.

(edited by MLM)

Send tips to[email protected]

Ngomana to launch 16 days of activism campaign

The campaign happens to bring awareness against the violence meted out against women and children in the communities where we live.


Mpumalanga Safety and Security MEC Pat Ngomana will officially launch the 16 Days of Activism campaign.

The launch will take place at KwaMhlanga this weekend.

Spokesman Joseph Mabuza said government officials, stakeholders and local people will gather at Moletamotse sports ground, GaMaria for the Mpumalanga launch of this year’s 16 Days of Activism on Saturday morning.

He said this year’s theme is ‘Count Me In, Together Moving a Non-Violent South Africa Forward’.

Ngomane to launch 16 days of activism campaign

Mabuza said the launch at the Moletamotse sports ground will also see Communication minister Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane in attendance.

“It is part of government’s ongoing efforts to curtail the abuse of women and children,” Mabuza said.

“It is also during this campaign that victims of abuse are assisted by various government departments as part of ensuring their living conditions do not exacerbate the pain of the abuse that they have already suffered,” he said.

(edited by ZK)

Send tips to [email protected]

Mpumalanga sexual offences down by 3.5%

 

Murder and robbery are on the increase in the latest Mpumalanga crime statistics.


Recorded incidents where a woman was molested has dropped in Mpumalanga, by 3.5%, latest crime statistics have shown.

Last year Mpumalanga recorded 3331 cases of rape but this has now decreased by a mere 3.5%.

Mpumalanga Safety and Security MEC Pat Ngomane this week released the provincial crime statistics during a press briefing at the Komati Lodge, outside Mbombela.

It showed murder in the province increased by 11.1%. Attempted murder shot up by 19.3% and robbery by 11.8%.

It also showed an increase in contact crime, by 2%, but a decrease in assaults, by 4.1%.

Ngomane said illegal possession of firearms is on the increase in the province as well as driving under the influence of alcohol.

“We also noticed that trio crimes such as car and truck hijacking, house and business robberies have contributed immensely to incidents of contact crimes. People get killed and others assaulted when these crimes take place,” Ngomane said on Monday morning.

SEE ALSO: Battle against crime can only be won if we all work together, Ngomane

“With regards to business robberies, we always encourage businesspeople not to keep their money in the business premises as it attracts criminals,” he said.

“Recently there has been a surge in cash-in-transit robbery,” Ngomane said.

“We believe that the security companies will work together with the police to prevent these robberies and arrest the perpetrators,”  he said.

He said his department welcomed the establishment of the Sexual Offences Court by the Department of Justice.

“We believe and hope that more perpetrators will be brought to book and eventually these offended will be eradicated,” he said.

Ngomane came to the briefing with Mpumalanga police boss Lieutenant General Mondli Zuma, the head of the Safety and Security provincial department William Mthombothi, Provincial Commissioner, Police Forum Board chairman Kevin Pillay, cops, SANDF members, and home affairs and SARS authorities.

He said in the 2016/17 financial year they had been able to recover stolen vehicles to the value of over R14 million while also bringing the perpetrators to book.

Illegal goods to the tune of R27.4 million were confiscated in the 2016/17 financial year and over four thousand undocumented foreign nationals arrested and deported.

He also said rhino poachers and drug dealers were nabbed.

(edited by ZK)

Send tips to [email protected]