The two-day meeting will now occur behind closed doors.
Mpumalanga ANC acting chairman Mandla Ndlovu has reversed a decision to invite journalists to the party’s provincial executive committee Lekgotla scheduled for the weekend.
In a statement released late on Friday morning, Ndlovu said the decision to no longer have journalists at the PEC Lekgotla †occurred “due to unforeseen circumstances”.
“Attention all media,” the statement read.
“Please be informed that due to unforeseen circumstances the ANC provincial executive committee will no longer require the media coverage of the ANC PEC Lekgotla taking place from Saturday the 3rd and 4th February 2018 as per the previous invitation,” it said.
“However, an invitation will be extended to yourselves to host a media briefing scheduled for next week on the resolutions taken from the ANC PEC Lekgotla,” the statement read.
Ndlovu is expected to deliver a political overview as the acting chair of the Mpumalanga ANC and journalists had been invited to come cover this particular speech.
“We apologise for any inconvenience caused,” the statement released by his office’s communication assistant Sibusiso Themba read.
The Lekgotla, to occur at the Nutting House Lodge in Mbombela, is expected to discuss amongst other things the succession race in the province.
Journalists had been asked to come register for their accreditation to cover Ndlovu addressing the Lekgotla but then now this will be a closed session.
DD Mabuza who was elected the deputy president of the ANC on 18 December 2017 will have a successor when a special provincial congress is held in April 2018 as well as Violet Siwela, his deputy, who was elected as an additional member of the national executive committee in Nasrec, Soweto.
A large number of contestants are vying for Mabuza’s seat – Ndlovu himself, Pat Ngomane, Sasekani Manzini, Fish Mahlalela, Peter Nyoni, David Dube, Lucky Ndinisa, Charles Makola and Lassy Chiwayo.
(edited by MLM)
Send tips to [email protected]