Bushbuckridge police woman and her husband are gunned down

The incident happened on the early hours of Saturday while they were asleep in their rented house.


The police in Mpumalanga are appealing to anybody with information to help them find the men who gunned down a female police sergeant and her husband while they were asleep in their home of Angin Court near Bushbuckridge.

The incident happened in the early hours of Saturday when their home was broken into.

Police spokesman Brigadier Leonard Hlathi said the three unknown men gained entry through a window and shot dead 42-year-old Sergeant Thembisile Ndlovu and her 40-year-old husband Jabulani Khoza.

Ndlovu was stationed at the Calcutta police station near Bushbuckridge.

“Once inside, a shoot-out ensued and Ndlovu managed to shoot one of the attackers who died at the scene,” Hlathi said.

“The other two suspects are reported to have fired at the couple, instantly killing the sergeant,” he said.

Ndlovu’s husband was rushed to hospital by neighbours who responded after hearing the gunshots but then later on died.

The two remaining men disappeared from the scene using the couple’s Chevrolet Spark – which later was discovered abandoned near the Bushbuckridge road.

Hlathi said police boss Lieutenant-General Mondli Zuma has activated a “72-hour plan, thereby mobilising all necessary resources to ensure that the suspects were arrested as soon as possible”.

“Zuma is asking the community to volunteer information that may assist in the investigation of the matter and a speedy arrest of the suspects,” Hlathi said.

Anyone with information should call the cops on 082 469 1250 or 08600 10111.

(edited by ZK)

Send tip-offs to [email protected]

Worker arrested with family members for alleged R4m fraud

They are accused of creating various fake creditors accounts to defraud the company.


A 56-year-old man working for a Middelburg hardware company has been arrested together with family members and charged with fraud.

The charges of theft and money-laundering were also added and they remain in custody.

The Hawks said Linda Ebersohn was arrested with three other family members and they made a brief appearance at the Middelburg Magistrates after R4 million disappeared at the Middelburg Dakkappe Roofing.

Ebersohn was employed by the company.

In 2017, Ebersohn allegedly channelled close to R12 million into her own bank account and those of family members.

Hawks spokeswoman Captain Dineo Sekgotodi said that “several fictitious creditors accounts” were allegedly created and used to channel the sum.

The family members are husband 58-year-old Frans Hendrik Ebersohn and sons Francios Ebersohn (31) and Hendrik Stepheneous Eberson (25).

Sekgotodi said the Middelburg Magistrates Court postponed the matter to 3 December 2018 for bail application.

(edited by ZK)

Send tip-offs to [email protected]

DA complains about increasing KwaMhlanga rape cases, lack of police resources

They said the situation is worrying as now sexual abuse becomes “a system”.


The DA in the Mpumalanga province wants an end to the scourge of sexual abuse as well as a properly equipped cop shop.

The party said since last year the number of reported rape cases in the KwaMhlanga area of Mpumalanga increased from 118 to 146 this year and they believe the number of rape incidents are rife when taking into considerations unreported cases.

Mpumalanga Premier candidate Jane Sithole together with DA Women’s Network leaders Nomafrench Mbombo and Annerie Weber submitted a memorandum of demands to the KwaMhlanga police station after a minor was raped in the area a week ago.

The KwaMhlanga police allegedly sent the minor back home when she tried to open a case, apparently citing that the officers responsible for rape victims were not available.

In their memorandum to police boss Brigadier Winnie Mavuso Monday mid-day this week, the three leaders said they wanted the cops to do more in making sure the victims of rape were protected.

Earlier, Sithole told the residents that the scourge of women abuse was actually “a system” and needed to be fought the “same way we fought Apartheid”.

She said it was worrying that KwaMhlanga continued to be leading in terms of rape cases and was unacceptable.

“That is wrong and if we sit down as community and do nothing it will continue. And also what made the suspects to be released so early is because the police are not able to handle evidence,” Sithole told the community members.

She said a week ago a child was raped in the area and the cops sent her back home without opening a case, apparently because the officials responsible to handle rape cases were not available.

“Today it can be a neighbour’s child or somebody you completely don’t know and if you don’t stand up against it, tomorrow it’s your own child or yourself,” she said.

“I always say that Apartheid was defeated by the community. The community stood up and said ‘we are sick and tired of this system’ and today this system of sexual abuse must be defeated by the community,” Sithole said.

In her address, Mpumalanga DA Women’s Network leader Annerie Weber said it was “inhumane” to take advantage of unemployed women and sexually abuse them while promising to give them jobs.

“It leaves women devastated and degraded and ripped of their dignity,” Webber told the community members.

“Women deserve fair access to jobs,” she said, “we will not sit back while women are exploited by perverted officials who abuse their positions of power and take advantage of women’s desperation for employment,” she said, adding the DA will always be there for women.

SEE ALSO: DA decries Msholozi township ‘sex for jobs’ scandal

DA Women’s Network national leader Nomafrench Mbombo, who is also the health MEC in Western Cape, urged the KwaMhlanga residents to stop voting for ANC.

She said the ANC was responsible for policies that ensured unemployment and forced husbands to leave their homes and go work in Gauteng.

“It is women who carry the whole burden at the end of the day. Do you know why you are still the highest unemployed here in Mpumalanga? It’s because six months later when we come for votes you will receive food parcels and then vote for the same government, for the same party that gave you no job,” Mbombo said.

The police said they would investigate the issue of the child who was sent back without a case opened and were happy to work with the communities in responding to such issues as the lack of resources.

(edited by ZK)

Send tip-offs to [email protected]

Police looking for men who raped, killed 14-year-old Mihle Zingamo

She was murdered this week and her raped body found tied with a rope.


The police in eMbalenhle are appealing to the public to help them nail the killers of 14-year-old Mihle Zingamo.

The girl was reported missing Wednesday this week at around 8 at night.

Later on that night her body was found dumped on the street at eMbalenhle’s extension 17 with her hands and feet tied.

She was raped before being killed, spokesman Brigadier Leonard Hlathi said.

“She accompanied her elderly sister to a local hair salon during the day of the Wednesday of 7 November.

“She allegedly left her sister and went home after she complained of being hungry but never reached home,” Hlathi said.

Her father rushed to the police station before 8 on Wednesday night and reported her missing.

A police search began together with community members.

Later on she was found dead and her feet and hands tied.

This is not the first time this year a girl is raped before being killed in the eMbalenhle township of Secunda.

On 07 May 2018, 11-year-old Lerato Nkutha was sent to a nearby shop by her parents but never returned home.

Three days later she was found in a certain house in the area dead

Anyone with information should call the cops on 082 970 5774 or 08600 10111.

(edited by ZK)

Send tip-offs to [email protected]

Mbombela man shot, killed while watching TV

The incident happened at around 10 at night.


A 51-year-old man was murdered while watching TV in his Mbombela home, police have said.

Spokesman Colonel Mtsholi Bhembe said the man died this week Tuesday night after three suspects entered the home, shooting and killing him.

He said the victim whose name is not yet disclosed “was in the sitting room watching TV when the trio stormed in”.

“A fight ensued between the victim and the suspects resulting in shots being fired,” Bhembe said.

He said he was shot in the upper body “and was later certified dead at the scene by paramedics”.

“His wife came out from the bedroom and discovered that her husband was lying in a pool of blood and then called for help.

“Security guards arrived shortly thereafter and discovered that the suspects had already fled the scene,” he said.

He added a TV set that had been stolen from the house was discovered in nearby bushes, saying they were now investigating a murder and house robbery and have launched a manhunt for the suspects, however, no one had been arrested as yet.

Anyone with information that could lead to the arrest of the three men should call the cops on 082 318 9843.

(edited by MLM)

Send tip-offs to [email protected]